Friday, June 8, 2007

Story of a Boy

The first week of camp is officially over and I have so much to report that all I will say is...God never fails to amaze me. There are so many ways that God showed His glory and power that you will just have to ask me about them when I return.

What I want to tell you about this evening is the experience that I had today. On Wednesday, a little boy named Christopher came to see Gertrude and I at the nurse's station. His right pinky finger had been severely burned and was completely full of pus. It looked terrible. There was a big blister that had popped and pus was oozing everywhere. I want to be graphic because I want you to understand what it is that I saw. He reported that his friend had shoved his finger in a fire, but even that story could be false. You wouldn't believe me if I told you the lack of information that is available in this place.

So, Wednesday was his frist day to come to camp. We treated his finger and informed him that he needed to come back to see us. Thursday was shoe day, so it was to crazy to even see children at the nurse's station, so today we found James. His finger looked worse, pus was still oozing everywhere and wreaked of infection. Now, our nurse's station is strictly basic, cleaning and treating minor wounds, tylenol and advil for headaches, etc.

I knew immediately that I could do nothing for him. Luckily there is a clinic right down the street and I received permission from Greer to take him to the clinic. Gertrude and I took him to the clinic where we received some antibiotics and treatment for worms as well as some painkillers...all for the cost of $1.00! And yet still, no one bothers to take this child to the clinic! The depravity of these children is extraordinary. The nurse at the clinic told me that he would need to be getting penicillin injections for the next 5 days and that he would need to come to the clinic. Well of course, how am I supposed to make sure that his caregivers take him? This woman was extremely gracious and agreed to give me all of the shots so that I could go to Christopher's home and give them to him. Afterwards Gertrude informed me that this was extremely rare, and that God had blessed us through the nurse.

This afternoon, we traveled to his house (which involved alot of walking) to give his father instructions on giving him the medication. All the while we were walking, 40 or so kids just followed us around. I kept picking them up and holding them, greeting them in Nyanja (which they love) and loving them. When we finally arrived to Christopher's home, we met his father who is sick with Malaria. I spoke to him in the brief Nyanja that I knew and then Gertrude and Paul helped to translate. He warmly invited us into his home and informed us that Christopher had told him about the enitre day. He thanked us for what we had done. I gave him some instructions on how to give the medication and asked if I could come each day to give Christopher the injections. He kindly agreed and then we sat around and shared the Good News of Christ. We explained to him that in Christ he was loved, that he was accepted into God's family, secure if he believes faithfully, and that Christ offers freedom!

The expression on the man's face instantly changed from sadness to joy! He said that he wanted to have all of those things and Paul led him in prayer. We then offered to pray over him for his health and he accepted. The man thanked us repeatedly and said that he was looking forward to seeing us tomorrow.

This experience was beautiful for me. The teachers of the school came with us to the house, and they were able to witness Christians carrying out the word of God and they informed us that they were changed by their experience at camp this week. It was a joyful experience for all, and I love communing with people in the communities. I wish I could convey to you what it was like to be here, and travel all of the dusty dirt roads to seek out those who are hurting. Somehow this is wonderful to me, and the Lord continues to bless me extravagantly!

3 comments:

malita said...

at the mention of puss I almost quit reading - glad i didn't...so glad your having a blessed time!

Andrea said...

I love it! God amazingly and creatively leads us to those who need Him. Praise God that another one has entered the kingdom! Keep pressing on and walking in faith...many are covering you in prayer from this side of the world. Love you bunches!

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.