Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Story of a Boy Part 2

Yesterday was the last day that I had to go to Matero to see the little boy whom I was giving penicillin injections. Every day that we have gone the family has invited us into their home and we were able to visit and share the gospel for about an hour or a little more. On several occassions, there were 4 or 5 people from the community who came to the house to also listen to the gospel. Even the little children stay inside to hear us read the Word of God.

You know, sometimes when you hear the message of Jesus for the first time, you just want to hear more. So that's what we did, we shared more and more, and everyone in the place listened intently. It turns out that the little boy's name is Christopher. He had told me at camp that his name was James, but that is in fact his older brother. The entire time that I have been seeing him, he has said about one word to me. He's very shy and I'm not sure what is going on with him, but he just sits in my lap and allows me to hold him the entire time I am there. Did I mention that he is one of the cutest little 6-year olds I have ever seen? Well, then again, they all are.

I hope to be able to post some pictures soon, but I have not yet had an opportunity. Christopher missed picture day so he didn't get a "snap" like all of his brothers (who also came to camp). So while I was there, I took a picture with him and his entire family and at some point this summer will get it to him so that he can hang it up on the wall. They were discussing trying to save some money in order to get a picture frame for it. So sweet!

On another note, some really crazy things have been happening at camp. I can tell you that this year is far more powerful than any other year that I have been. As you know, our theme is "victorious in Christ." Our sub-theme is "breaking the chains in Zambia." Let me just tell you, digging deep into the lives of these children and praying for the chains that are binding them to be broken....Satan is not happy. Several people have been witnesses to releasing demons, and although I have never personally witnessed this, I can tell you that it is very real here in Zambia. The number of children that are plagued by nightmares of eating raw meet, drinking blood, and being brought to a graveyard is phenomenal. Some children confess that they feel like someone is tugging at their throat and not allowing them to speak, or choking them, and they have physical marks on their bodies! I tell you, I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't witnessed it for myself.

The exciting thing is that God really is breaking the bondage that these children are in, and I have seen some very powerful acts of God here. It is scary, and exciting all at the same time. I would love to write to you more later, but I have to get some zzzzzz's now. As always, I love you all and am so happy that you are traveling this journey with me!

No comments: