Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Community Schools

Mwachoma Bwanji! (Good afternoon)

Well, today is the second day of camp and I can honestly say that after being an administrator for two days, I have never given enough thanks and credit to those in full time ministry. It is tough. There are so many people to please, and so many great ideas that work....in theory. Practically those ideas are a nightmare. :) The Lord is definitely growing me and stretching me and I am glad for it.

Last Friday I was able to tag along with two of the discipleship leaders (Innocent and Naomi) to visit three of the community schools that are here for camp this week; Jesus Army, Restoration, Swesta, Ibex Hill, and Bethel. We went out to the schools to distribute tyvex, the paper arm band that all of the children must have on to come to camp life. Attendance at camp is based upon school attendance so that the discipleship leaders can follow up with the kids year round. Though some other children show up around the time of camp because they know it is coming, they are not allowed to come. Camp life is an incentive for school attendance and the discipleship leaders go to each school every day.

When we showed up we were invited to the small 8X8 room that was called the director's office. We greeted one another and then gave instructions on tyvex (remember last year some of the director's were selling them to community children to make money for themselves, very sad situation). After we were finished, we walked into several of the classrooms to visit the children. Innocent was the first to walk in and oh my goodness the children were so excited right away. They started yelling, Uncle Innocent, Uncle Innocent! Then Allan (another summer staffer) and I walked in and the kids went wild. As I have been practicing my Nyanja, I spoke a few sentences to them and they all laughed. They were taken off guard that I was able to speak Nyanja and absolutely love it when you try to speak their language. It also sounds funny because their accent is so different, although my Zambians tell me that my pronunciation is quite good. I am very happy to be able to have an extended period of time to learn and practice the language. The sounds are completely different from English.

I was so amazed that each school we went to, there was a similar reaction. You can tell that the children ADORE the discipleship leaders, and I know why. All of them are unflappable! They are full of love, patience, kindness and big smiles. They all are such a joy to be around and I am so very blessed by their presence. There are more Americans than ever this year, but I find myself wanting to spend more time in community with the Zambians. I have so much to learn from them, and they have such beautfiul spirts, always giving the glory to God for everything. I am very encouraged when I spend time with them.

So as we went around to the schools I realized what a special time it is for the kids when they are able to come to camp. Their faces light up when we talk about camp. We travel in blue, volkswagon type vans that are labeled "His Bus". When the children saw us arriving, they all began chanting "his bus, his bus, his bus." When we walked into the classroom, they all began singing camp life songs.

I just cannot tell you how overjoyed I am to be here, to love these kids, to love these people. I am so thankful for God's provision in my life and for the amazing opportunity to experience community with my Zambian brothers and sisters. I have so much more to say, but my time is limited. I hope to be able to write to you soon regarding the first days of Camp! Nikukonda (I love you). Tizaounana Mailo (see you later).

No comments: