Saturday, June 16, 2007

George Compound

There is just not enough time in the day here to do everything that I want to, and part of that includes emailing you all individually. I want you to know that I have received all of the emails, and they are blessing me. Please keep sending me stories from home. I am sorry if I have not resonded, forgive me.

Thursday was community day, and I am so thrilled to be sharing my experience with you. I traveled to George compound, and the community school we are involved with there is called Jesus Cares George. They are a new school which has never before worked with Family Legacy for Camp Life.

Some of the roads the bus traveled on were exactly the size of the bus so that we were brushing shopkeepers stands as we drove by. It was a little scary, I am always afraid they are going to hit someone. When the bus arrived at the school, there were probably about 100 people standing around. We briefly prayed, and then the kids were off to boldy proclaim the freedom offered through Christ.

I couldn't possibly have enough time or room to share everything, but what I do know is that George is one of the most poverty stricken areas in Lusaka. The need for the gospel there is so unbelievable, and so raw and genuine. Every home that we visited people were eager and ready to hear the words of Christ, and when we were finished people were standing in line for us to come and talk to them. One man who was so drunk he could barely walk approached us and said, "I want to accept Jesus." Then the children prayed for him and went through the evangecube and this grown man just began weeping....right there!

I can't tell you how many times this happened, over and over. The people of these communities are desperate for the love and power of Jesus Christ. They LOVE the evangecubes! It's funny to me, that this is a tool that probably many Americans would make fun of. But to these people, it is essential. It is a perfect visual of the story of Christ, and to have children explaining it is very powerful because usually not much value is placed upon them.

We talked to entire families! People began weeping in the streets. Now, I know that others on our team did not have similar experiences, so I know that the Lord was paving our way and blessing us with opportunities. I have never experienced anything like this, even when I have come before. We were truly blessed.

Amongst the poverty, the death, destruction, struggles, injustices....I'll tell you, there is something that the people have very right here. The NEED for Jesus. I feel so incredibly at home here. Literally, when we are in town, tons of people walk up to us and want to know what it is we are doing here. We have connected with so many people. God is powerfully at work here, and I am so blessed to be a part of it.

I wish I could write of each encounter that we had today, but I am running to meet my friend Raphael for coffee. I am so happy that I have been able to write as often as I have. I still have a cough, but my spirit is well, and I am encouraged. Please continue praying for the new group of children that will come this week, and please pray for me that the message of freedom in Christ would indeed free my own soul in Christ. That the same bondages we are breaking the children of would also be broken in me. ANd PLEASE continue praying for direction and leading from the Lord. I don't know what His plan for me is, but I know that it is big and I am feeling more confidence that He may be calling me here longer term. I love you all!

2 comments:

susan said...

stephers! SO good to read all your updates. love to hear how God is at work in your life. will definitely continue to pray for you. keep us posted!

JR said...

stephers, from Hawaii, the Routh's love you and are praying for you.