Monday, June 11, 2007

Oddities of Zambia

Bats....there are bats....everywhere! I here them all the night long, squeaking. They sound like child or dog toys.

Oh, and here in Zambia, the police can take you to jail for no reason at all. A week or so ago one of our drivers was harassed by the police. The police don't have to give you a reason for why they chose you, but then they start asking for money and you are demanded to give it to them. If you don't have it, you go to jail. If you do have it, they take it and then you go to jail. Crazy I tell you.

Oh, and tonight...the students were rioting outside of our compound because the government had not given them their lunch allowances. I'm not kidding. To top it all off, as punishment the city cut off the water to supply to the village so we now have no water. I'm really not joking about this...oh my goodness how different things are here!

In addition, today while we were having camp a former presidential candidate showed up with his political party to convene for a meeting. Nakatendi Hall had overbooked. This man's name is Sata and from what I can tell he is a very prideful man. They came in and started making all kinds of noise while we were having a teaching time for all of the teachers of each school. We were kind enough to move our meeting outside, but I stayed in to work with Adrian on a project. Sata's assistant demanded that Adrian and I come to speak with him. I informed him that we were in the middle of a project and could not be disturbed (really I was buying time to find Moses Zulu the FLMZ director). He looked very put out by this, but I didn't really care. He began yelling at one of the girls in my villa. He told her, "Why are you teaching these orphans about Jesus? They don't need Jesus, they need food."

I just wanted to tell him that I had witnessed what Jesus has done in the lives of these kids. In fact, I've personally witnessed that spiritual food is better for the child than physical food. Many of the children come crying that their stomachs ache after eating (because they are full). Now they definitely NEED the food, but physical food doesn't fulfill the child or make the children happy. Being loved in Christ does!

I've seen the boy with the burned/stoned finger again everyday since I last wrote to you. Everyday we have gone to give him injections and share the Word with his family. It's fascinating to me. People from all over the community come freely to here the teachings of Christ. Even the children are fixated on the teaching. No one talks, they just listen. It's like they are craving to here more. Then, when we are finished they will ask their questions.

Please continue praying for me. My health is not good, I am fighting off a cough and some respiratory issues. I think it's due to the pollution and dust here, as many others are experiencing the same. This happens to me every year, and my spirit is good. I just need prayers for energy and healing. Being closer to the equator and higher in elevation is causing many of the Americans to feel nauseous and drained of energy. Pray for our team. I have to run quickly and get to bed early for some much needed rest. I love you all!

1 comment:

Mike, Liz, Noah and Baby Emily said...

We are definitely praying for you, girl! Keep up the wonderful work you are doing. Love you!