Thursday, May 29, 2008

Things I've Discovered in Zambia

1) There is a rooster that crows outside my window from 1:30am-6:00 am. He definitely sounds like he is on his last rooster leg and needs to be put out of his misery. Luckily, I am usually so tired he doesn't bother my sleeping.

2) Random shutting off of electricity and water, which leads to...use of head lamps and me washing Rachael's hair with bottled water...awesome. You could also use the term "sponge bath," which would be appropriate.

3) Reuniting with my friends here in Zambia. I am filled with so much joy to see them. My relationships here are beautiful and it has been wonderful to visit with them again.

4) I have a great group of villa mates. I am looking forward to spending time with them. One of my villa mates is a photographer and will be working on a book documenting the lives of African children. Very cool.

5) Above said roomate discovered that the pound button here is called "hush." When Alissa was asking her driver which phone number to dial he said 225 hush. So, she sat there quietly for a moment, and then asked again. Again, he replied 225 hush, so she sat quietly a little longer. Finally he took the phone from her and pushed 225 pound...and the world was resolved and right again. Quite funny.

6) It costs about $100 to fill up a Toyota Corolla with gas. That makes the price of gas ~$9/gallon. And we complain about gas prices. (Remember a good job here will pay about $100/month).

7) The Zambians don't use directions, or say right or left. They refer to everything as, "this side" and then use a pointing gesture. This makes it quite confusing when giving directions, as I have to adjust and also use hand gestures coupled with "this side."

So far, mostly just preparations for the first week of camp next week. We have moved into our house, but we have no kitchen. Now I remember why I lost so much weight last summer. Hopefully that will resolve soon and we will have a place to make food. I am going to try to make it to Matero to see my kids on Saturday. I hope to post more soon, but so far have experienced trouble with my own computer and I am severely lacking the ability to get to the internet cafe!

Thank you for all of your prayers. My homesickness is quite better and I am in good spirits. Please pray for wisdom in communicating with people on this side. I want to uphold integrity in every possible way, especially with my words. I need your help in this because I know only the Lord may do that. PLease pray for the children that will come for camp, that they may know the Lord intimately, that He may touch them and experience a changed heart and mind. My own mind is so busy right now that I feel I am rambling. I will try to write again soon!

Love,
Steph

No comments: