Sunday, May 25, 2008

Burning Brush

Muli Bwanji Muzangas?
(How are you my friends?)

I arrived safely to Lusaka yesterday morning around 6am. After another long 10 hours of flying, where I busied myself with watching Juno, Spinal Tap and Kite Runner, I found myself stepping off of the plane into a whole other world. It really feels like that. I took in a deep breath, already knowing that I would inhale the smell of burning brush...a smell that warms my heart to the memory of this place.

As soon as I arrived, I felt quite at home, but still missing my other home far, far away. I was greeted at the airport by my wonderful, long time friend Paul Mulenga with a huge hug and the best smile you have ever seen. Once outside the airport I also reunited with some other friends-Innocent (the singer), Raphael (the pastor), and Teddy (the quiet one). Some of our drivers I also recognized and they also greeted me with a Muli Bwanji?

Much of my Nyanja I have forgotten because I have not used it, but my friends were quick to begin speaking to me only in Nyanja so that my brain would relearn quickly. Although I find this quite challenging, I enjoy it so much and can't wait to learn even more this summer. The day was very uneventful as we were all travel weary, and adjusting to the seven hour time difference is quite a challenge. We slept almost all day and i awoke at 4:30 am feeling wide awake and ready to get going for the day. yikes.

I'm really looking forward to this summer, and will be seeing my kids in just over a week. To see their smiling faces will be such a joy. This week we will be busy with working and organizing things for camp, so probably not much to write to you about this week. But I will keep you posted on the comings and goings of the staff. We are definitely going to have alot of fun, and have a great group of staff members. We have already been praying and getting to know one another. We will actually be having a staff house this year, which I am grateful for and know will be beneficial for us. We can have a safe place to go to so that we don't have to be "on" all the time, and it will provide some respite from the business.

I look forward to spending some more time with my Zambian friends here, I have missed them so much. We are having our first meeting tomorrow. I must go for now, and will be writing again soon. still no pictures, as I need an additional adapter for my computer and have not been able to write to you from my personal computer yet. i am working on that....

Love,
XOXO

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Good to hear you arrived safely!! I miss you already and am praying for you.