Sunday, July 15, 2007

Hello friends! I am so happy to finally be writing to you have a few weeks. The first few weeks we had internet access in the villa and I could get to it when I have time, but now we do not and getting to the cafe is proving to be a challenge.

Week 5 presented some challenges. Monday morning, the Zambians showed up to Nakatendi hall and were told that they were locking the doors and that we would not be allowed to use the facilities. This is how things go in Zambia. So, literally at the very last second Moses (executive director, Family Legacy Zambia) made some calls and camp was moved to Dunamis church which is the largest church in Zambia. They are charging us more than double what we were paying at Nakatendi but the facilities are much nicer and we have enjoyed our time there.

I can't remember if I blogged about this, but several weeks ago we participated in an awareness march for voluntary counseling and testing of AIDS. During that time of "awareness" some witch doctors came out and started dancing and giving money to the deputy mayor. We immediately pulled the kids because this is exactly the same kind of things that we are trying to deliver them from. The deputy mayor was very upset because without the kids he really didn't have a program. A hunch tells me this is why we were kicked out. All that to say, there is some intense spiritual warfare going on in this city, but God always provides and camp continues to press forward.

I have continued visiting homes of the children that need the most care, going and providing medications and education to the families. It is my favorite part of my job here. I love being invited into the homes and being able to commune with the caregivers of these children and to share with them the word of God. Every single one of these children is precious, and my heart continues to break for them.

I revisited one of my girls from week 4 (the week I had my own group) and spent several hours with her. The week she came to camp she would hardly talk to us at all, and when I visited her on friday we shared the Truth of God with here for several hours. At the end of that time, she insisted that there was nothing that I could pray for her about. Finally, she was able to tell me and my partner (Ethel)that she wanted to kill herself, that her living situation with her grandomother was so bad that she would rather be living on the street. Her appearance was hopeless and sorrowful. I can't tell you how many hours I spent weeping over this child, both at camp and upon revisitation. How many hours I have spent in prayer for her begging God to allow me just to take some of her sorrow and exchange it for the joy I have in Christ. I know that it is only He who can save her, but I hurt so much for her. Please be praying for her, she is Dorothy. I know our prayers do not return void, for He says that if we ask and believe in the name of Jesus, it is already done.

Last week I reached a breaking point. The comination of lack of sleep, exhaustion and lack of alone time, lack of time to process and difficult situations of the kids culminated in a small emotional breakdown. I was unprepared for taking the roll of a full time staff person and all of the responsibilites that incurs. I am always on duty, always being pulled in a million directions and have little time to myself. But this weekend I have had some very good quiet and worship time as well as rest. The Lord has renewed by mind and body and I feel fully equipped to press forward with the coming weeks. I am looking to Him only to be my strength.

Please be praying that the Lord would contiue to hold me in His hand, and pray for my mental health as I end my time here. I am not ready to leave, and i know that coming home will be extremely difficult. I am not prepared to return home, although I know that it must happen for now. I know the Lord will give me grace in every step I take, but I know the transition home will be hard. I love you all and I am thinking of you often!

No comments: