Monday, July 21, 2008

Kapenta

One food, one word. Four days in bed. Kapenta.

Kapenta is a staple food here in Zambia. What is it, you ask? Good question. Small, tiny, dried fish with little poking eyeballs. Now I can't be sure that this is what left me vomiting up my toes for four days, but I ate nothing else out of the normal. And so began my four days of misery. I've never felt worse in my life.

But rest assured, I am feeling better now and back to happy self. Our electricity has been going off for longer than usual recently, as much as 7 hours everyday. So, on the last day of my illness, my great roomate Alissa built a fire outside of our house using a car cigarette lighter so that she could heat up my soup. What a blessing to me because I hadn't eaten anything in three days, and as my appetite returned I was pretty starving. Aren't my roomates fantastic?


All that said, I just wanted to let you know that this is why my blog has been suffering. I'm also pretty exhausted. My friends John, Paul, Erin and Kent are here this week, and also my cousin Elaine. So these next two weeks will be quite busy but I hope to post again very soon. Love you and miss you guys so much!

2 comments:

Paul Mulenga said...

Thanks for all you do,
I pray that the lord will keep you safe and continue guiding you all you do in Africa you a blessing to alot of Children in Zambia.

You are in my prayers everyday

Paul Mulenga

Unknown said...

glad you're feeling better and it seems like you are having fun ,hard but fun