Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Walk Home

I have always envied those people whose blogs are wreaking of sharp wit and intelligence. One of my friends in particular, (whose name I will not mention because I am not sure if she would approve) always writes with such a perfect balance of wit and humor that I never leave without a good belly laugh.

But I have now resigned myself to the fact that I am not one of those people. It's something about the way my friend sees the world, through the lenses of pessimism and satire. Now, please do not perceive me wrong. I am perfectly happy with my own lenses, but sometimes I wish I could put hers on for a short while.

I do not write those blogs because the world does not inspire me in the same way. It frequently succeeds at amusing me, but it doesn't influence me to put my thoughts down for public observation. The one thing that quickens that same response in my heart is Jesus. Let me share with you.

Just a few days ago, I dropped my car off at the local Firestone Station to get some badly needed new tires. The lovely gentleman at the counter informed me that it might be a few hours before it was done, so I decided to leave it there and told him I would return. The Firestone being all of 5 or 6 blocks to my house, I started to make my way back there on foot. It was a beautiful day. Not a cloud in the sky, magnificently bright sunshine, and a cool breeze. I also happened to have my new IPOD in my purse which I clothed myself with for the walk home. I felt like this day was God's special gift to me, even though I am well aware that all were free to enjoy it the same as I.

My IPOD was sporting Hillsong's new album, Savior King. If you haven't heard it, you should listen to it and if you don't have it, you should get it. Anyways, as I was listening my heart was filled with praise at the awesomeness of our God and I suddenly wanted to throw my hands up in the air! Psalm 119:48 I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love, and I meditate on your decrees.

Then I remembered that I was in public, and began to be a little fearful of how crazy people might think I was if i just started lifting up my hands. Then I began to argue with myself, why should it matter? Who cares if anyone passes any judgement on me lifting up my hands? Maybe me lifting up my hands might cause someone to ask me what compelled me to do so? Although I seriously doubted anyone would give any thought to me at all, and if they did they would just pass me off as one more crazy...I was still nervous about the act. But as the music grew more and more in my mind, and arousing my heart to sing of the One Holy God...I did it. I threw my hands into the air and sang to the sky for about two blocks, boasting the praises of my Savior and my King. No one bothered to ask me, by the way, why in the world I was conducting myself in such a way, although many passed me.

And in that moment, I felt so FREE! I realized that even in this one simple act, it does not matter what the world thinks of me. And it doesn't matter what I think of it. What matters, is that I serve a Sovereign God and I have the freedom to praise him anytime and anywhere I choose (at least in this country). I hope that in bigger ways, I will be able to realize that the world is not my judge, and I'm glad they're not. Because if they were, I might be ridiculed in a moment like this, but I found happiness in knowing that God was delighting in His child's praises.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Oh my goodness! I recently had a similiar experience while I was out running in my neighborhood. Music in the ipod, hands in the air as I ran down the street. I'm wondering what my fellow runners thought. :)Worthy is HE of our praise.

Anonymous said...

Steph, we are praying your homesickness will subside and your safe keeping will be in the Lord as your travel and as you bless the orphans of Zambia.

Much love always,
Aunt S